Sunday, April 19, 2009

A mini monument moment...

It is no surprise that the City by the Bay is full of many well known monuments...The Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street, Washington Square Park, etc etc. But what about the ones that aren't so famous? Here's a few not-so-famous points of interest:



Lotta's Fountain

Lotta's fountain was dedicated in 1875 at the intersection of Market Street where Geary and Kearny Streets connect in downtown San Francisco, California.

The cast pillar with a drinking fountain at its base was donated to San Francisco by the entertainer Lotta Crabtree. It served as a meeting point during the 1906 earthquake and fire.

Commemorations of the earthquake, including a dwindling pool of survivors, are held every year at 5:12 a.m. on April 18th at the intersection.

In 1999, the fountain, which had suffered neglect in the past decades was totally refurbished to its 1875 appearance.*





Anton Szandor LaVey's infamous "Black House"

Many locals recall the eerie black house at 6114 California St. owned by the Church of Satan founder Anton LaVey. As a child, my mom would tell me stories of how she would pass him on the street while taking a walk with me in the stroller (we lived on 24th Ave) and crossing the street out of sheer fear because she would notice him coming towards her walking two full grown tigers down the sidewalk!! Can you blame her? Sadly, this curious S.F> landmark was demolished in October of 2001.




Stow Lake @ Golden Gate Park

This beautiful lake is nestled in the cozy confines of Golden Gate Park. I have wonderful memories of Wright's pink popcorn and my dad renting the motor boat, only for me to drive the damned thing right into the reeds. I can still hear him yelling at me...

But apparently Stow Lake isn't all fun and games. Legend has it that the statue which sits near Stow Lake titled "Pioneer Woman with Children" is incredibly haunted. The story goes that sometime in 1915, a mother drowned her young children. Some locals say that late at night, if you listen, you can still hear the children crying. NOw this is all merely heresay, but I know I have yet to venture out on the lake at night - alone.

If you'd rather enjoy the lake from home, this site offers a breathtaking 360 degree panoramic view of Stow Lake.

*Information provided by wikipedia.org

1 comment:

  1. I stayed in the LaVey house on California about a year before it was torn down... I was very strange, full of unique rooms and secret passage ways... Also there were chains in the bottom level of the house to hold down the tigers, I suppose... don't know why I googled this house today but your blog popped up and I thought I'd share that with you.

    Cheers!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete



Add to Technorati Favorites