Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mother's Cookies UPDATE


Just when all hope was lost:

Earlier this week I posted a blog entry regarding the demise of Mother's Cookies, an Oakland institution for almost 100 years. I scoured through pages of comments on various sites left by heartbroken cookie connosieurs that were determined NOT to open that LAST bag of Circus Animal Cookies hidden in the pantry for fear that it may be their last. Well, I have some wonderful news for you all:

Circus Animals are back. Really. I think.

According to one of my readers, somewhere in all this hostile corporate hijacking and bankruptcy filing, Nabisco has just come out with what they call Nabisco Classics which, as far as either one of us can tell, are Mother's cookies. I don't see Flaky Flix in that assortment, but I do see circus animals, and that's just fine. I am still rubbing my eyes in amazement.

The only thing that really concerns me is that I have read time and time again how so many of these products are bought up by other companies,the recipe is changed, they are re-released, and long time fans run out to buy them up, only to be sadly disappointed that they are nothing like they used to be. As I read more about these new circus animals, I am seeing it seems to be the case. Big thumbs down. But I am still hopeful - I have to be!

This happened to me recently when I bought a few tubes of Flicks. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, Ghirardelli had these delicious chocolate candies called Flicks. They looked like flat oversized chocolate chips and they came in colored cardboard tubes. They vanished for years, then resurfaced not too long ago on one of those "candy from your childhood" websites. I couldn't resist, but to my dismay, these things were disgusting; nothing like the original.

Tomorrow is grocery day. I know what I'll be looking for.

2 comments:

  1. No sooner do I post about Nabisco when Mother's has arrived to the grocery shelves of Safeway...today in San Francisco!!! Brought to us by Kellogg's!!!
    There was a big aisle display in Safeway today filled with Mother's cookies declaring "Mother's is back!". Including "the original" iced animal cookies! English Tea Cookies. Already I can't remember the 4 or 5 other ones...oatmeal ones, with and without glaze...and...and...don't remember! But no Flaky Flix...

    Mother's has risen from the ashes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers, Bob, I can only pray they make it to North Carolina...or perhaps I can can enlist the help of a San Francisco buddy to ship them....what a great way to start my morning!! Thanks...although I am frowning over the Flaky Flix. Actually, I read how one guy claimed the Nestle Crunch Crisp bar was similar to the Flix - I tried it, and its alright, but no substitute. Better than nothin g I guess lol.

    ReplyDelete



Add to Technorati Favorites